Single Tooth Implant An Overview
If you are missing one or several teeth, consider a single tooth dental implant to restore your smile.
A single tooth implant is used to replace one or more missing teeth. A dental implant is comprised of three parts: the post, the abutment, and the crown. Asheville periodontist Dr. Jody Harrison offers a full range of dental implant services in his state of the art dental office. During your visit, Dr. Harrison will examine your teeth and bone structure to determine if you are an ideal candidate for the dental implant procedure.
If you do not have an adequate amount of healthy bone structure, we may recommend other services, such as bone grafting, to make you a candidate for the implant procedure. As a highly trained and experienced periodontist, Dr. Harrison designs personalized treatment plans based on your specific dental health needs and goals.
Why Choose Dental Implants
Dental implants are considered one of the most successful tooth replacement options because they can provide a complete solution for lost teeth. Dental implants replace both the crown of the tooth, what appears above the gums and the root beneath the gums. This stabilizes your dental health in a number of ways in addition to improving quality of life after tooth loss.
Under the care of an experienced periodontist, patients can restore their smile to full function and can enjoy the optimal benefits that dental implants have to offer.
Benefits of a Dental Implant:
- Replaces the tooth root and the visible portion of the tooth
- Prevents future bone loss in the jaw
- Offers long lasting, natural function and aesthetics
- Improved, confident chewing ability and normal speech
Single Tooth Implant What to Expect
Dental Implant Procedure
- Consultation: Each dental implant procedure begins with a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Harrison. During this time, Dr. Harrison will perform a full examination of your oral cavity, assess the condition of your current dental health, and explore your treatment options. If needed, we will take x-rays and a CT scan of the oral cavity to estimate the density of the bones and determine if you are an ideal candidate for the implant procedure.
- The Placement: Using advanced dental technology, Dr. Harrison will determine the most appropriate placement for the dental implants. Once the appropriate placement is determined, Dr. Harrison will carefully place the dental implants into the jaw bone.
- Osseointegration: This process occurs when the dental implants fuse with the jawbone, creating a stable foundation that is used to support an abutment and dental crown (for single tooth dental implants). This process can take anywhere from three to six months depending on your body’s natural healing response.
- The Abutment: After the post fuses with the jawbone, it is now ready to receive the abutment. The abutment acts as the “connector” between the post and the final restoration.
- The Final Restoration/ Placing The Dental Crown: The last step is the placement of the dental crown. A dental crown is a custom designed porcelain restoration that fits securely over the dental implant.
Maintaining Your Dental Implants
Taking care of your new implants are very similar for caring for your natural teeth. To ensure you dental implants remain in optimal condition; it is important to maintain a daily oral hygiene routine including these key actions: brush your teeth, floss on a daily basis, and visit the dentist on a regular basis. Proper cleaning to maintain gum and tooth health is key to the stability and success of your dental implant, so be diligent in your oral hygiene practices.
Request A Consultation
If you are missing teeth and are searching for an experienced dentist in Asheville, NC, contact Dr. Harrison. We offer a wide range of dental implant services that can be tailored to meet your needs. To schedule an appointment, call (828) 255-8100 or request an appointment online.