A gummy smile can make your teeth appear shorter than they actually are. This may cause patients to feel self-conscious about their smile. As an experienced periodontist, Dr. Jody Harrison has vast experience treating a wide range of dental concerns, including treating patients with gummy smiles. Dr. Harrison can create a treatment plan to improve the appearance of a gummy smile and restore balance to your dental health.
Treating a gummy smile not only enhances the appearance of your teeth, but it can also improve oral health. Removing extra gum tissue can allow patients to floss more effectively as well as receive the treatment they need if they suffer from tooth decay or tooth damage. Sometimes, extra gum issue hides other dental concerns, making it difficult for patients to get the treatment they need to restore their dental health.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
The way your smile appears is based on your teeth, lips, jaw, and gums. When one part is out of balance, the rest can’t work in harmony.
- Extra gum tissue may be the result of an abnormal teeth eruption pattern. Teeth covered by extra gum tissue sometimes appear shorter than they are, although they may actually be the appropriate length.
- Teeth that are small in comparison to the gums due to genetics
- The muscle movement in the upper lip is hyperactive. Naturally, when this occurs, more of your gum tissue is shown when you smile.
- Gums that are long or enlarged
- The way in which your upper jaw bone developed can cause the appearance of a gummy smile.
After an in-depth examination, Dr. Harrison will determine the underlying cause of a gummy smile and determine if further treatment is needed.
How Is A Gummy Smile Treated?
Treatment for a gummy smile depends on the condition of your teeth and gums and your overall dental health. Dr. Harrison will perform a comprehensive exam and recommend the most appropriate solution for your gummy smile.
- Gingivectomy: In this procedure, your periodontist removes extra gum tissue and reshapes it to expose more of the teeth and enhance the appearance of your smile. During this process, the gums are contoured and reshaped until they reach your desired aesthetic. This treatment is often performed using a dental laser, which helps reduce recovery time, promotes faster healing, and eliminate the need for sutures or stitches.
- Dental Crown Lengthening: In this procedure, your periodontist removes excessive gum tissue to reveal the appropriate amount of tooth enamel.
- Frenectomy: Removing the frenulum may allow the upper lip to drop down, allowing the lip to cover more of the gum tissue. This treatment can improve the appearance of a gummy smile without contouring the gums.
Request A Consultation
If you are unsatisfied with the appearance of your teeth and gums, contact our Asheville, NC periodontist office. Dr. Harrison and our team will work with you to help restore balance and beauty to your smile. if you like to learn more about your treatment options, call (828) 255-8100 or request an appointment online.