Receding gums can age your smile or create an unsightly smile fro some patient. Not only does receding gums affect the aesthetic of your smile, but it may also be an indication of a more complex dental concern. In advanced cases, receding gums can lead to an exposed tooth root, which increases your risk of infection, tooth decay, and tooth loss.
Maintaining healthy gum is an essential part of achieving excellent dental health. Asheville, NC periodontist Dr. Jody Harrison offer comprehensive, personalized treatment plans for patients with receding gums.
After a thorough consultation, Dr. Harrison will determine the cause of your receding gums and build a treatment plan to address your dental concerns, repair receding gums, and minimize your risk for further damage.
What Causes Receding Gums?
Gum recession can occur for a variety of reasons. The type of treatment you receive will depend on the cause of the recession. Some of the most common causes for gum recession can include:
- Periodontal disease (gum disease)
- Aggressive brushing and flossing
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Teeth grinding and clenching
It is important to note that gum tissue does not grow back. It can only be addressed through surgical treatment. There are measures that can be taken to prevent further recession and improve the appearance of receding gums.
How To Treat Receding Gums?
Receding gums can be addressed in many ways. Dr. Harrison offers a full range of services to address patients with receding gums in our Asheville dentist office. He can work with you to assess your dental needs and recommend the ideal solution to restore beauty, function, and balance to your smile.
- Pinhole Gum Surgery: This is a less invasive treatment compared to traditional gum surgery to improve the appearance of receding gums. This technique requires no scalpels, sutures, or stitches, and allows your periodontist to repair the gums through a tiny hole. Using special tools, your periodontist gently loosens the gum tissue through the tiny hole and reposition the gum tissue to create natural looking new gum line.
- Osseous Surgery: If receding gums is the result of periodontal disease, osseous surgery may recommend the help eliminate deep pockets that form around the gum line. The bone around the gums is reshaped and modeled to create a eliminate periodontal pocket formation, infection, and other issues that arise from gum disease.
- Soft Tissue Grafting: This technique uses your gum tissue to create gum grafts to cover exposed tooth roots and improve the appearance of a receding gum line.
Request A Consultation
If you notice any changes in your oral health, be sure to schedule a visit with Asheville periodontist Dr. Harrison. As a highly skilled oral surgeon and periodontist, Dr. Harrison works closely with our patients to develop the best treatment plans for their specific needs. If you would like to explore your treatment options, call (828) 202-1706 or request an appointment online.