Periodontal Surgery An Overview
Asheville periodontist Dr. Jody Harrison offers comprehensive treatment plans for the treatment of periodontal disease. Our Asheville, NC periodontist office offers a wide range of treatment options for patients with various stages of gum disease. We will evaluate your mouth, teeth, and gums to recommend the best solution for your dental health and cosmetic needs.
Periodontal disease can affect the mouth in different ways: whether that may be receding gums, premature tooth loss, or bone loss, we take into account your specific requirements and build a treatment plan that is tailored to your individual needs.
We use the latest dental technology and methods to aid in your journey to better gum health. We ensure that our patients are comfortable, relaxed, and informed every step of the way. The goal of periodontal treatment or oral surgery is to restore balance, beauty, and health between the gums, teeth, and supporting bone structure.
Depending on your reason for needing gum surgery, it can be used to:
- Remove gum tissue
- Add gum tissue
- Improve the appearance of a gummy smile
- Eliminate disease tissue
- Reduce periodontal pockets
- Helps regenerate new, healthy gum tissue
- Restore strength to the surrounding bone structure
Periodontal Surgery in Asheville, NC
The type of surgery performed will depend on the severity of gum disease and the extent of damage to the teeth, gums, and bone structure. We may recommend one or more of the following treatments to improve your dental health.
Periodontal Surgery What to Expect
Periodontal surgery can be usually split into a few categories: gingivectomy, regenerative procedures, and gingivoplasty.
- Gingivectomy: This procedure requires removing and reshaping loose, diseased gum tissue to eliminate pockets between the teeth and gums.
- Gingivoplasty: This procedure is the surgical reshaping of gum tissue surrounding the teeth. This can be done in conjunction with a gingivectomy. Gingivoplasty can also be done along with a gum grafting surgery.
- Regenerative Procedures: These type of treatments aim to regenerate lost bone and tissue supporting your teeth and can repair the damage caused by periodontal disease
Preparing For Periodontal Surgery
Before any treatment is recommended, Dr. Harrison will perform a comprehensive exam to assess your dental health and create a personalized treatment plan for you.
During the exam, Dr. Harrison will:
- Thoroughly examine the teeth, gums, and bone structure
- Check for signs of periodontal disease
- Assess density in the surrounding bone structure
- Review your dental health history
In most cases, periodontal therapy will require at least two visits to our Asheville periodontist office. During oral surgery, we will make every effort to ensure you are comfortable and relaxed. We offer a full range of sedation dentistry options, including IV sedation and nitrous oxide.
Once you are prepared, Dr. Harrison will perform a deep cleaning of the gum line to remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria. After that is completed, any other surgery or procedures are performed.
With periodontal surgery, Dr. Harrison aims to improve your overall and long-term dental health. To ensure the best results, it is crucial that you follow your post-op instructions. The recovery is just as significant as the procedure, so be sure to take care of your gums after your treatment.